It’s not about profound observations or impassioned oration. The authentic sermon is effective.
Backstory Preaching Mentorship Program
Our year-long, online, intensive mentorship has a two-fold focus.
We dive deep into your identity as a Christian — your backstory. Your backstory is made mostly of ordinary moments of extraordinary love from God. Without being aware of and cultivating that love, preaching can feel like another item on the ministry chore list. We'll examine your mindset, experience of the gospel, places where fear and shame are holding you back, and the transformative benefits of cultivating wonder, joy, and curiosity as you engage Scripture.
At the same time, we focus on your skills as a preacher. We’ll practice the craft of preaching using both original techniques and tried-and-true methods. You'll give and receive feedback and collaborate in master classes. You'll learn how to find a dozen ideas from a single passage of Scripture, practice writing strategies that will enhance your message, and bring attention to small tweaks that will strengthen your speaking skills. Most importantly, you’ll learn how to prepare and preach effectively every week with less stress and more joy so that you can “Be Good News to Preach Good News.”
The result? Deeper faith and a newfound foundation that will strengthen the rest of your preaching vocation.
Backstory Preaching’s Mentorship is for...
- Any ordained or lay preacher, whether a new grad or a veteran with many years of experience
- Bishops, priests, pastors, and deacons who want to strengthen the craft of writing and delivering sermons
- Bi-vocational clergy longing to preach clear, engaging, and effective messages
- Clergy members who want to illuminate the connection between spirituality and preaching
- Anglican, Mainline Protestant, and Roman Catholic preachers.
- 8-month virtual or in-person one-to-one mentorship
- Master classes
- Small group, online collaboration
- Matierals integrated to help you develop your perspective and voice
- Structured sessions for study and sermon appraisal
- Option to attain the designation of “Backstory Preacher” to indicate your dedication to and proficiency in this craft, qualifying you to be trained to become a Backstory Preaching Mentor.
- Course Materials: Backstory Preaching: Integrating Life, Spirituality, and Craft by Lisa Cressman, Founder and Steward of Backstory Preaching® (Liturgical Press: Collegeville, 2018), its corresponding workbook, plus curated articles, videos, and other relevant resources.
Get the guidance and support you need to become a better preacher.
The application period will open Fall 2018.
Sign-up to receive updates about applying to the Mentorship program.